Kanye West’s wedding to Kim Kardashian apparently was delayed because of negotiations over their prenup. Here in Colorado, a revision to the Pre-Marital and Marital Agreement Act will become effective in July. The below are the key components to a pre-marital (aka prenup) agreement.
- In writing and signed by both parties
- Voluntary (one party cannot force the other into the contract)
- Disclosure of assets and liabilities
- Cannot limit or waive child support
- May not violate public policy
In coming posts, we’ll talk about ways that a prenup can be attacked and the changes to Colorado’s new law that becomes effective in July.